Hard Drive the permanent storage drive is the most important part of your PC that stores all the data that is processed by the CPU. There are different types of Hard disks available on market, Where old hard drives were hard disk drives (HDD) mostly used because they are cheaper as compared to other alternatives. And the newer kind of hard drive Solid State Drives (SSD) is a lot faster but it’s expensive. There is a huge difference between HDD vs SSD such as faster, reliability, and more. If you have recently bought a new PC but are not sure if it has Solid State Drive Here is how to find out whether the hard drive Installed on your Windows 10 Laptop/Desktop PC is SSD (Solid State Drive) or HDD (Hard Disk Drive).
HDDs are cheaper and you can get more storage space. SSDs, however, are faster, lighter, more durable, and use less energy. Your needs will dictate which storage drive will work best for you.
Check SSD or HDD Installed
So you have got a new laptop with windows 10 Installed and don’t know it comes with HDD or SSD installed? You can check the same following steps below.
Check via Task Manager
- Open the Task Manager either by using Ctrl + Shift + Esc keys or right-clicking on the taskbar and then clicking the Task Manager option.
- Switch to the full mode if it opens in a small view.
- Under the Performance tab, click on the disk on the left side to know the actual name of the drive on the right side.
- The name usually indicates the type of drive (SSD or HDD).
Note: If your PC has more than one internal drive, you will have to click on all of them (on the left-side) one after another to know their properties.
Using Disk Defragmenter
Simply press the Windows key + R keyboard shortcut to open the Run box, type dfrgui, and press Enter. Or you can search Defragment and Optimize Drives from the start menu search.
When the Disk Defragmenter window is shown, look for the Media type column and you can find out which drive is a solid-state drive (SSD), and which one is a hard disk drive (HDD).
Check From File Explorer
- Press Windows + E keyboard shortcut to open the File Explorer and navigate to This PC.
- Right-click on a partition drive and then click Properties to open its properties dialog.
- Under the Hardware tab, you can see if your PC has SSD or HDD.
- If your PC has more than one drive, the Hardware tab lists all drives and highlights only the physical drive where your currently selected partition drive is located.
Note: if you have more than one physical drive, you need to make sure that you are right-clicking on a drive that belongs to the physical drive that you want to know whether it’s SSD or HDD.
- If you are Windows 10 user Open the Device Manager by right-clicking on the Start button and then clicking on the Device Manager option.
- Windows 7, 8.1 users Press Windows + R, type devmgmt.msc, and ok
- In the Device Manager window, expand the Disk drives tree to see the name of the drive which also includes the type of the drive (SSD or HDD).
Hope you found this helpful, let us know you have SSD installed or HDD. Also, Read