Did your entire laptop keyboard has stopped working, It is a major problem because you can’t replace the keyboard like you could on a desktop. And without a working keyboard, your laptop may feel useless, so why is my keyboard not working? Its caused by bad hardware drivers, wrong regional settings, bad connection, dirt or dust, etc. Here we have a few solutions, apply to fix the laptop keyboard not working on Windows 10.
Laptop Keyboard Is Not Working
First, restart your laptop using the touchpad and check the keyboard status. Also, start your PC in safe mode to check if there are any external programs or third-party software causing your keyboard issues.
Clean The Keyboard dirt or dust
Accumulation of dust in between the keys is one of the most common reasons why the keyboard starts malfunctioning. Shut down the laptop and try to clean any debris that might be present on the keyboard. When the keyboard is upside down, run your fingers through all the keys to ensure all the dirt is removed. You can try to clean the debris in the spaces between the keys with a compressed air can.
Update Or Reinstall Keyboard Drivers
If possible connect an external keyboard using USB post and perform the solutions listed below to fix the problem if its keyboard driver or any other settings causing the problem.
Also you can open the on screen keyboard using OSK and use it to perform solutions listed below.
If your Windows 10 keyboard drivers are outdated, the laptop keyboard might face issues in working smoothly. Hence, it is essential to update all types of drivers.
- Press Windows key + X and select Device Manager, this will display all installed device driver list,
- Locate and expand Keyboards, Right-click on Standard PS/2 Keyboard,
- choose Update driver and automatically search for updated driver software to install.
- Alternatively, you can click Uninstall device to remove the driver. After rebooting, the driver will be reinstalled instantly.
Disable Filter Keys
- Open the control panel and click Ease of Access to edit the keyboard settings.
- Then, select the Make the keyboard easier to use option.
- Scroll down to ensure the checkbox of Turn on Filter Keys isn’t ticked.
- Then, click Apply and OK to save the keyboard settings.
Run keyboard troubleshooter
- Press Windows key + S, type troubleshoot settings and select the first result,
- Click on the additional troubleshooter link then click on the Keyboard section.
- Now, choose Run the Troubleshooter, This will automatically detect and fix problems with your Laptops keyboard settings.
- Let the diagnose process complete, once done reboot your laptop and check the keyboard status.
Tweak language settings
- Press Windows key + X then select settings, and Go to time and language option,
- Here, click Add a language and choose the correct option for your keyboard.
- Click Next > Install and wait a moment while the language is installed.
- In the Region & language screen, use the Language dropdown menu to select the new language.
Detach The Battery
Shut down your laptop, remove the battery, and then plug in the power cable. Use only AC power to boot the laptop without the battery. If the keyboard works when the battery isn’t installed, it means you need to change the battery.
Uninstall Secondary Keyboard Drivers
- Press Windows key + X and select device manager,
- Next, click on View in the menu bar and select Show hidden devices.
- Then, navigate to the Keyboards section and expand it.
- Right-click on all the options called ‘HID Keyboard Device’ and select Uninstall device.
Note: This term might also include other external devices like mice. In case other external device drivers are uninstalled, you need to disconnect and reconnect the device again.
Run SFC Scan
SFC is a free tool that can help you fix corruption issues within Windows system files. To check (and fix) if the keyboard slowdown is caused due to this:
- Type command prompt in the Start menu search bar and select Run as administrator.
- Once you’re in the Command Prompt, type sfc /scannow and hit Enter.
- This will scan all the system files for corruption, and try to resolve any issues that it finds within your files.
- After the scan is complete, you’ll have to restart the computer for the changes to reflect.
Replace The Defective Keyboard
If the keyboard is physically damaged or has become disconnected from the motherboard (perhaps due to a shock), then you’ll need to replace the keyboard with help of a computer technician.
- How to fix no sound problem windows 10 version 21H2
- Solved: No internet after windows 10 version 21H2 update
- WiFi disconnects automatically after windows 10 21H2 update? Try these solutions
- Windows 10 Laptop not charging after windows update? Lets fix it
- 3 Google Chrome Alternatives For Browsing Privately (Secure Browser)